- Screening measure (NOT a diagnostic tool)
- Developed to identify current depressive symptomatology related to major or clinical depression in adults and adolescents
- Items include depressed mood, feelings of guilt, worthlessness and helplessness, psychomotor retardation, loss of appetite and sleep difficulties.
- The CES-D- 20 was created for the general population but has been used extensively in SCI (cited in approximately 50 SCI research articles). Shorter versions such as the 10, 8 and 4 item are available but only the CES-D 10 has been assessed in the SCI population.
- The test is simple and quick to administer.
Body Function ▶ Mental Functions